How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 daughter ran away in oct. Police responded to a call

Customer Question

My 16 daughter ran away in oct. Police responded to a call Dec 23rd and she was found and brought home. I told the police that I had varies people say her bf and his family had her. She was found with them but no arrests were made. She is pregnant and they saught no medical for her. I got her to her first ob apt at 19 weeks. I want them to pay....they lied and hid her from us for 2 months. They kept lying to everyone. Her bf changed her cell number and deleted her contacts. He left her shirt on the side of the road. planted it. She was listed in missing kids. I heard civil suit was something as well. I'm a single mom of 5, I don't wanna go through this again. What should I do??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It was up to the police whether to file criminal charges, and if they did not there is nothing you can do about that. You can sue the people who participated in hiding her for Interference with Parental Rights and seek money damages to punish them for their behavior.

As for the medical bills, you have no way to force them to pay her medical bills---or even the presumed father at this point in time because the legal father is unknown. You can sue the father for medical bills after the baby is born and paternity is determined through the court in a Paternity Action.

Under the law, the natural parents of a pregnant minor are responsible for the child's medical expenses, and while you can sue the father when the father is determined, only the father can be sued for the bills, and not the people who helped hide her.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,