How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27283
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i have to file a report and sue my ex roomate ex

Customer Question

how long do i have to file a report and sue my ex roomate ex landlord for not giving me ample time to get my belongings and now they are no where to be found
i went there w truck and waited i still llived there yet she changed locks and i was not able to retreive my things. i have not heard or have been able to locate her since this happeended three years ago. now i found out shes living in fl
what can i do its my whole life fathers ashes paintngs well worth 1,000's tiffanys jewelry etc
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear, this happened 3 years ago and no action has been taken since?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no because she moved right away with all my belongings claiming she threw them out. i finally found out where she might be. i couldn't do anything bc she was mia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are u still there? Good morning by the way..
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. What she did was illegal. I say this because 1) she can not use self help to evict you and get you out. As such, she can not just change the locks on you, so unless you were legally evicted or vacated on your own, the changing of the locks and preventing you from entering, was illegal. 2) she had no legal right to keep your possession and refuse to return them either. She could be liable to you for damages, with that being said. Now, NY has a 3 year statute of limitations, to sue on a cause of action like this, so if 3 years have passed, she may have a defense to ask that this be dismissed, if the time has run. However, you shared that she is in FL, where it is 4 years, so seeing how she resides there, you could try and file in court there. Now, she could try and get this transferred to NY and argue that this is all where it happened and then assert the SOL but that is up to the Judge to decide.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!