How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RONB-ESQ Your Own Question
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 357
Experience:  Right of Way Manager at Access Midstream Partners, LP
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RONB-ESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to sell my vehicle to someone who is going to do work

Customer Question

I want to sell my vehicle to someone who is going to do work for me to pay it off. I don't want the responsibility of someone else using it while it is in my name but don't want to sign title over until the obligation is met. How do I accomplish this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Also in the event you are new to JA, I only receive a portion of what you pay to JA when you provide positive feedback and click the submit button on the upper right corner of your page. If I have provided you a timely response and answered your question please give me the courtesy of a positive rating before you log off the site, as many people forget to log back in and leave feedback. There is no additional charge for continuing to reply after you have rated me and we can continue a back and forth discussion until the question you posed has been fully answered

You should see my answer in the same pane below this response as we continue. In the event you would prefer a phone call please let me know and I can arrange it. It tends to be easier for both parties if you just tell me you want a phone call and let me send you the request versus using JA’s automated “request a call” feature. If you see a pop up regarding a phone call please note that the website generated that offer. Before I send you any such request it will typically be based on you requesting it by typing the request on the screen and then I will send you a phone call offer (additional $52 typically). Do note that a phone call is not required and we can continue here just typing comments back and forth.

Do not be concerned with short delays in my response to you. When I am online I generally respond in a few minutes, unless I am on a call with another customer. When I am offline I generally respond in less than 24 hours. If I begin to answer your question late in the evening (after 9:00 PM CST) I will generally provide you a quick comment as to the fact that I am signing off for the night. I am generally online most days 1:00PM-10:00PM CST.

You should be able to view my answer just below this response as we continue….

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

I may need more explanation. Do you plan on the person that is working it off will use the vehicle while performing work for you or that he will ultimately receive the vehicle for a fixed price after a certain time of working for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fixed price
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But want him to use it now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

You would need to retain the title and write out a contract that identifies the vehicle to include VIN. Names both parties. Indicates that he will be working for you and you he is to complete the following projects and then at that point he will own the vehicle. Do remember that while the vehicle is in your name you will be responsible for accidents and so you should maintain insurance. You will also be charged for any tolls or parking tickets.

Where you list all the projects he is going to do for you I would place an estimated value in the contract for paying to have the project completed. This is in case he takes the car and you have to sue him. A Judge may not be likely to make him finish the work, but if both parties agree the projects would cost about $10,000 and the car is worth approx $10,000 and he only completed half the work the Judge could award him the car on the condition he paid of the other 1/2 of the work he did not complete. Does that make sense?

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your question. If so, please take the time to leave me positive feedback as that is the only way I am compensated for the time I spent answering your question. It cost you nothing extra, but means the world to me. Do note that after leaving positive feedback you are welcome to reply here with as many follow up questions as needed to answer your original question for free.



Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I will be out of town Tuesday - Thursday night and will be back online at 1:00 PM CST. I think I answered your question so I would appreciate you giving me positive feedback. If you need clarification I will respond when I am back online Friday at 1:00 PM CST

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to check in with you and confirm that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answers I provided to you on the 4th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received a rating. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can go directly to my page for future questions by going here:

Regards, Ron