How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19168
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to sue someone in the state of Connecticut,but I am

Customer Question

I want to sue someone in the state of Connecticut,but I am located in Illinois. Do I use small claims in Illinois or Connecticut ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and nearly 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Jurisdiction could be in either place, depending on why you want to sue. You stated that a company owes you money. If certain portions of the transaction took place in Illinois, then you may have a basis to sue in Connecticut. However, there are two forms of jurisdiction a court needs in order to rule against someone. They require subject matter jurisdiction, meaning that the issue is something they can discuss and they need personal jurisdiction.

If events took place in Illinois, then the court would certainly have subject matter jurisdiction. The issue though would be personal jurisdiction. The company would have to have some presence in Illinois or be served with service of process in Illinois. That's much harder to do.

So, the easiest thing is usually to sue the person or company in the state where they are located, because then there can be no issue about jurisdiction over the person and a service of process is simpler. Yes, it means you'll have to travel for the hearing, but that's just a single event. Most everything else can be done by computer or phone (getting the filing documents and service or process completed).

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.