How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27170
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a plumbing contractor. I recently did emergency repair

Customer Question

I am a plumbing contractor. I recently did emergency repair work for a commercial customer. He paid a portion of the invoice (about 60%). He claims the invoice is excessive and refuses to pay the balance. The balance due is about $4,000.00. My intention is to sue him in small claims court. To do so, I must send him a demand letter. The invoices were made out to ***** the payment checks were sent from QRS Real Estate Partners. Do I need to list both companies on the demand letter and the summons? FGR
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Do you know if QRS Real Estate is related in any way to XYZ Manufacturing or do you think he just wrote the check out of that account and it is unrelated ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I know, the owners of the manufacturing company are also the owners of the real estate company
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Even though they may own both companies, you would need to show that QRS Real Estate Partners were involved or related in some way, to the repairs and work done and issue with the payment. It is possible that they simply wrote the check to pay you from an account they have with/for another business but the writing of the check alone, does not make that company a party to the lawsuit, since the dispute is over work done for XYZ. If they are related, then Yes, you would list both companies and to be honest, you can, if you think they are related, to be safe. If they are not, then QRS would file a motion to be dismissed from the complaint, if they are not a party or involved in the lawsuit.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.