Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What are the guidelines legal sports picks? can one sell

Customer Question
Customer: What are the guidelines...
Customer: What are the guidelines for selling legal sports picks? For example can one sell sports picks and invoice them based on how much they win? Or does it have to be a flat fee? Subscription base
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just curious on operating a legal sports advisory and what the guidelines. It's my understanding that it is NOT illegal to sell sports picks. A lot of people do However, do they need a disclaimer (For example, they are selling entertaiment not gambling advice)?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure Does it require my name?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Hello
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/4/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The providing of "sports picks" is not illegal gambling and it is nothing more than providing of educational information. There is no legal requirement that a disclaimer be used, but it is prudent to inform the customers that the seller takes no liability for the information provided and it is provided for entertainment purposes only and the seller does not advocate or engage in taking wagers or bets on any sporting event. Providing information to consumers is not regulated as long as you are not misrepresenting the information or taking bets.
Thus, could one invoice customers for sports picks advice ("Entertainment"), based on the outcome of games?
Thank you for your reply.
If you charge based on outcome of the games, then you are participating in gambling, since you are saying that you are giving them the information for them to place bets and you then are an accessory to gambling despite what you say in your disclaimer.
Thus, what are the guidelines? Does that mean you can only sell picks for a flat fee?
Can't you refund money if the picks lose?
Thank you for your reply.
If you choose to guarantee the accuracy of your picks you can do so and you sell them for a flat fee. Not many sport pick companies give such a flat out guarantee, they simply charge a flat fee for the picks and do not get involved in whether they win or lose.
I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding how one is different from the other (gurantee refund vs invoice based on wins). Essentially, both options profit based on the outcome of games.
FOR EXAMPLE:Seller provides 10 picks (7 win & 3 lose). Can a seller:1.) Invoice a customer $100/Unit? Totaling $400 for +4.0 units
2.) Invoice a customer for 10 picks totaling $57/each ($570) with a $170 refund for the games they lost (Moneyback Guarantee)?
3.) Invoice a customer $400 for a 10 picks
Thank you for your reply.
Most places guarantee free picks if their overall picks do not win. You can offer money back if your overall picks do not do what you say they will do. So you can give that type of a guarantee, not based on what the customer bets, but based on the overall success of your picks and not be involved with any gambling.
I'm sorry, I'm still having a hard time differentiating things. I'm not interested in how other Tout's operate, but rather what the law allows. I provided 3 examples on how a Seller could charge a customer for picks. Are all 3 examples illegal, none example illegal, or some examples illegal? Thank you.
thank you for your reply.
The law will allow you to offer a money back guarantee based on the success or quality of your picks. The law will not allow you to offer a money back guarantee on the nature of any bets made by the consumer. So what you say above is legal as long as it is not tied to bets actually placed by the customer.
Thus, how could a seller legally sell sports picks based on the number of positive units their picks generated (Example 1)?What does the seller have to specify or disclaim prior to selling or providing the picks? How should the disclaimer be worded so as to protect the seller from the law and differentiate gambling from the service they are providing.
Thank you for your reply.
If they pay for 10 picks and 7 win, then you can make the customer pay for only the 7 winning picks at the price you set. So your guarantee could legally be "You pay only for winning picks of the service." This is not saying they pay only if they bet and win, it says if you pick a winner and have given it to them, they have to pay for it whether they bet on it or not.
I told you above though what the disclaimer should say, that is still valid.
how could the disclaimer or guarantee be worded so the Seller could legally charge a customer $100/Unit? Similar to Example 1.Seller provides 4 picks to a CustomerTeam A @ -110 (WIN)
Team B @ -110 (WIN)
Team C @ -110 (LOSS)
Team D @ -110 (WIN)TOTAL UNITS = +1.90 Units
INVOICE = $190 ($100 x +1.90)
Thank you for your reply.
You can tell them that they would pay only for your picks that win and it could be done just as you have laid it out above.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney