How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I red a friend's son in law as a contractor. We spoke about

Customer Question

I hired a friend's son in law as a contractor. We spoke about everything verbally, but he never gave me a contract. I waited to receive one, but the guys were already working and it slipped my mind after that. The work was shoddy and needed fixing, but he never tiled the bathroom and has left unfinished projects all over the house and my property. Now he is claiming doing me favors and breaks cost him 5k. He didn't ask for the money, but I think he is planning to. I paid him all but 2k. His men had no respect for my property inside or outside breaking a few antiques, getting paint all over my floor, couch and other items. They trashed ouside with debris that they haven't removed yet. I have a hunch that he may have spent the money I gave him on another project, causing the delay. I doubt I will get the money back to finish my bathroom. I just want the projects done including clean up. My book pressure is thru the roof and this three week project is I it's third month. The dust and fumes of all of it are causing breathing problems with my asthma. He trashed my yard that I'm afraid to walk back there fearing a nail in my foot. Im diabetic and that would be dangerous for me. I'm a retired 60 year old woman, widowed with poor health and limited income. What do you recommend?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this matter - and while you can sue the contractor for "breach of contract" and "negligence" for the poor workmanship, failure to complete the work, and the property damage that his employees caused, short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.