How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kim Courtney Your Own Question
Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Kim Courtney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have legal guardianship over my mother, i need to know how

Customer Question

I have legal guardianship over my mother, i need to know how can i apply for Social Security Disability on her half, what is the legal procedure of getting it done.
Also how can i open up a bank account in her name so that her funds are managed, and kept on record.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

As the legal guardian, you have full authority to apply for social security disability and open a bank account for your mother.

The Disability process is identical to what you do if you file for yourself. There are a lot of papers to fill out and you need to provide information from her doctors, etc., but you will sign the paperwork, and then submit a copy of your guardianship letters from the court. Be sure to sign your name "as guardian for" your mother.

The bank account works the same way. You go to the bank and ask for a guardianship account and your name will be on there with your mother's. You will have full authority over those funds, and can freely withdraw cash, write checks, etc. Of course, it has to be all within your rights as guardian, for her benefit, and reported to the court.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But when i sign the documents etc... I put her name and not mine correct.

Like where it say first name of applicant so on and so fourth, other fields on the SSN application that shows where her name should be, i put her name and jot mine correct being that I'm have guardianship.

Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you put her name on everything, but on the signature line, you can either sign as follows:

(mother's name), by (your name) as Guardian

- or -

(your name) as Guardian for (mother's name)

Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I want to make sure that you read the answer that I provided to your question on January 1, 2015.

Please see the above, and then close out the question with positive feedback so that I get credit for my work with you, and so that the system does not keep your money.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also how do about getting her evaluated by a doctor so that she qualifies. Will guaranten ship be enough to for her to qualify

Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 1 year ago.

You haven't mentioned what you think her disability is, but whatever it is you just need to make an appointment for her with her doctor to determine that she has some disability.

If you have guardianship through "incompetence" and want to apply for disability based on that, then that was already determined by the court, so you could apply by submitting the court order in the guardianship determining that she is incompetent. Presumably the court already saw the doctor's recommendation that she was incompetent at that point.