How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33729
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lent money to someone that is refusing to pay me back. And

Customer Question

Hello, I lent money to someone that is refusing to pay me back. And I don't think I have enough evidence yet.
Here what I'm about to text.
Can someone give me advice on if I need to edit it, please. And any word tricks that you may have.So the whole time you saying that you would pay me back were all lies. If anything the amount that Sebastian was suppose to pay me back was the $1700 that I handed him. The only way you could tell Sebastian that the $1500 and $2100 is your is because I lent it to you and you agreeing to pay me back.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

First, as the click throughs explain, we can answer questions and provide information on legal topics but we can't provide advice since that requires the creation of an attorney client relationship which can't do through the website. Most people who come to JustAnswer actually don't need advice, they just need information.

Before I can provide information I need to know what exactly is your intent for the text? Do you believe it is going to prompt them to pay you the money you are owed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To get evidence to go to the small claims court
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

That text won't be admissible in court for a number of reasons. Potentially their response will be but it is almost impossible for someone representing themselves to "prove up" text messages and make them admissible.

However, there is nothing wrong with the language in the text other as it is written, it's not the language that makes it inadmissible.

What I'd suggest you consider doing is sitting down with a local lawyer and hiring them to help you write a couple of letters to send. They can help you word them in such a way that it stands a better chance of being admissible.