How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently living in an apartment where my landlord has

Customer Question

I am currently living in an apartment where my landlord has scared me to the point I do not exit my apartment. he has the other tenants along with his employees tormenting me by beginning work before 7am and directly shoting obsenisties to me. he has bullied me and even entered my apartment with my persmission. I complained to the city but he was told about it even before they inspected the property. He either has family there or he pays them off. it is crazy . I feel he is obsessed with torturing me. I have emails from him in which for years I have asked him to stop harassing me. and he continues. he stands in front of my door waiting for me to leave at times only to stare at me. he has had his employees place drug paraohenilia around my vehicle and I am constantly being ridiculed and harassed. I have called the police but he leave before they come. he laughs and says that I am a liar. and that I will not ever win and that because of my actions all this will reflect in the rental increase. I live in rent control area. I seek help but they tell me he is right. it just is not fair. I pay my rent but he continues to have my well being tormented as a game. please I am unemployed and gain money taking care of my senior mother . I don't have money and that is what he says. I just don't think its normal for me to be so scared when I am not doing anything but trying to have a place to live.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

You can try suing your landlord in small claims court for breach of your implied "right of quiet enjoyment" - you can do this without a lawyer (the California Courts have a very good self help site: You will want to carefully compile all evidence regarding the matter - what evidence of harassment you have, and be prepared for him to show defenses (for example, if you did in fact have refuse outside your unit door in violation of your lease). I do not know what the outcome of your lawsuit will be - court cases are "inherently risky" as there is always a chance you can lose even a very strong matter - but it certainly gives you a chance to do something about this matter without having to sit and wait for someone else.

If you are afraid of imminent physical harm to yourself, you can also file for a civil restraining order (but this requires you to show objective (meaning someone else would see that there is actual threat of injury) evidence to you) - if this is the case - follow this link:

If you are in fear of immediate harm - please do not hesitate to contact the police again. Use 9-1-1 for immediate threats to yourself or others.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically this is why he is the way he is. he knows that i wlll have to basically die before anyone helps me. i have called the police sir and he leaves before they arrive. they don't respond to someone scared of a landlord. they like everyone else believe its okay since he owns the place. i guess i am going to have to endiure this until i oneday just kill myself
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Try the small claims action - keep records of his behavior and document this as well as possible.

If you can keep video records or photographs of behavior to use in support of your claim, you can do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks i have all of that already. i even went as far as telling him and he just laughs . he has done so many illegal things but bot***** *****ne is if a personhas no money no one helps. thank you for your time. i knew it was never gonna be on my side. its always this way. oh well i guess its what you pay when you don't have money. thanks again happy holidays.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome (although I would recommend taking a second look at small claims - the filing fee is very small, and you can even apply for a filing fee waiver).

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its only make it worst here if i sue him. he literally tortures me as it is . sir i don't ever leave my house because he stands out there. he comes everyday from santa clarita. its insane and i just wish i could leave. sometimes the street seems even safer then here . here is a video. HE SUPPOSEDLY HAD AN INSPECTOR ONE DAY THAT HE CAME IN . HE NEVER DID AND I FOUND MY PEROSNAL BELONGING RUMMAGED THRU. THIS IS HIS ANSWERING WHEN I ASK FOR THE INSPECTORS NAME HE COMPLETELY IGNORES ME , I TRIED GETTING A ROOMMATE AND HE RAISES THE RENT TO THE POINT I WONT BE ABLE TO AFFORD IT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

If you have already exhausted your other options to date (attempted mediation, attempted legal aid, attempted negotiations, attempted police reports), you can try small claims. But those are the remedies that exist to deal with these situations.

You can consider paying a lawyer for an hour of their time to review your case with you and perhaps come up with a strategy to deal with it (remember we can only provide "general information" on this site - a local attorney could review all of your documentation and help you come up with a specific course of action. But at some point you would probably end up having to sue this person anyway. You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).