How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26821
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** and I am 18 year olds and I just

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I am 18 year olds and I just recieved a citation for minor in consumption. How hard is it to get that off my record? And WIll my car insurance premium be affected by it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What kind of details?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


Is this the first time you've been in difficulty with the law? In what US state were you cited for this offense? Were you breathalyzed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is. In Texas and yes I was.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a permanent resident whose citizenship is in process. will that be affected by this citation at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have gotten a illegal left turn citation before which I got out of my record by doing defensive driving.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


The moving violation is a traffic infraction. Being a minor in consumption is a Class C misdemeanor in Texas, which is a criminal offense.

According to Sec. 12.03(c) of the Texas penal code, a conviction for a class C misdemeanor doesn't impose any kind of criminal or legal liability on the offender. So a conviction would not appear in the state or Federal criminal data base. By that I mean, there would be a copy of your case and the conviction filed with the court, but the conviction should not show up on a state or federal background check.

Nevertheless, it is a public record and could be found, so if you are convicted of it, you would have to disclose the matter to Immigration, and yes, a conviction could delay your citizenship.

However, you would be eligible for a diversion disposition. A diversion offer involves a period of supervision along with up to 12 hours of community service, a 30-day suspension of your driver's license, fines and anti-alcohol classes/treatment/counseling, if appropriate. You'd also be required to stay out of further difficulty with the law. If you complete your diversion successfully, the case would be dismissed and could be expunged from your record. Immigration does not consider a pre-trial diversion opportunity as a conviction. You can see this here

Just because you are eligible for diversion doesn't guarantee it, and because you are not yet a citizen, this case -- which is very minor for a citizen -- has more serious consequences for you. So you should involve a lawyer, just to ensure that your rights and status are protected best. If a lawyer gets on this right away, he could likely get you the diversion opportunity, which is the very next best thing to an outright dismissal of the charges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it affect my car insurance premium ? And by period of supervision,do you mean probation?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Minor in Consumption is not a driving offense, so it shouldn't affect your insurance. However, Texas doesn't want minors who drink to be able to drive, so your license would be suspended as part of a conviction for this crime whether a car was involved or not.

Yes, I mean community supervision by the department of probation. It's not the quickest and easiest way to get rid of this case, but it's the one that gives you a chance to get it off of your record.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it depend on the judge on what kind of punishment I get ? and what kind of things should I say to the judge to be more linient towards my case?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

No, it depends upon the DA. If he gets you diversion, you won't have to see a judge at all. You should have a lawyer, as there are immigration consequences for you if this is handled wrongly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can it go wrong?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Because if you end up with anything other than a diversion disposition, you can delay your ability to become a citizen for the next 5 years because that's the minimum of time that Immigration looks at your record to find lack of moral character.