How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20227
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

T from behind on a motorcycle, by a drunk driver on the

Customer Question

Hit from behind on a motorcycle, by a drunk driver on the freeway. Suffered a dislocated shoulder and was out of work for 3 months. They pled guilty and are required to pay restitution. Their auto insurance coverage is 25k and medical bills are 50k. The driver was a young woman driving an older vehicle. I have health insurance which will pay part of the medical expenses but not all. What are my options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for the information and your question. You have a few options. One, is to accept the policy limits and also see if perhaps your own insurance coverage includes "underinsured" coverage which, in that case, you may be able to also collect under your insurance policy. The other option is to refuse the policy limit offer and hire an attorney to file suit against the owner of the vehicle that hit you. This would only be a good option if this other person has assets that would cover the award by a court.

I would strongly urge you at this point to consider at least speaking to a local trial attorney (personal injury) that deals with motor vehicle accidents and see what they advise based on all of the facts including your injuries and value of your time lost at work, etc.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 30th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.