How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kim Courtney Your Own Question
Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Kim Courtney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have owned a business since 2000. I am a

Customer Question

I have owned a business since 2000. I am a production/graphic designer. The business is called Attitude Ink. I started working for the Valley Journals in 2001 creating their newspapers. It continued until May of 2014 when he sold the company to City Journals. Working so long together we became very close, so when they got behind in paying me I didn't worry too much. I would get paid off and on but always knew it was coming bit by bit. The last time I received a payment was in December of 2014 for $300. I have been in contact with him to remind him and the last thing he said was "I'm having a hard time too. The IRS wants me to sell my house." When I heard IRS I knew I needed to do something. He owes me $9258.75. How would I proceed collecting this? Lien? Judgement? This is for wages. I don't know if there is a time limit that i can file something or just what to do. Please give me advice, I'd appreciate it very much.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

It sounds like you are likely just under the statutory limit for a small claims action, which you can check with your local county civil court, which is good news. Usually it's around 10k. That is the quickest and easiest way to get a judgment against him.

Once you get that judgment, if he still doesn't pay, then you can file a collection action against him. You can do all sorts of things, like attach income, real property, bank accounts, etc.

You are within the statute of limitations, you generally have about 3 years for something like this, and I would file right away just to go ahead and get the judgment. That does not guarantee that you will get paid, but it does preserve your right to get paid, and preserves your statute of limitations.

Hope this helps, and good luck.


Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.

I need to close out my questions from last week, to make sure that I get paid for my work. I see that your question is still open.

Please close the question by providing positive feedback, which will also avoid the system keeping your money.

Thank you and take care,


Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I want to make sure that you read the answer that I provided to your question on December 30, 2015.

Please see the above, and then close out the question with positive feedback so that I get credit for my work with you, and so that the system does not keep your money.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kim
I did review the answer on my computer instead of my phone. Maybe that's why you didn't see it as being read. Your answer helped me tremendously. It was straight forward and explained very well. I appreciate your time and assistance on this.
Thanks again