How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A mail order firm misaddressed a 400$ item I ordered. They

Customer Question

A mail order firm misaddressed a 400$ item I ordered. They tried to say I offered a wrong address but I have their order conformation showing correct info. Post office confirmed wrong address but is unable to secure packege from addressee. MO is dragging their feet on this and I want to know what legal relief is available.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The company is responsible for making sure that you receive the item you ordered or refunding your money. If they are not able to do either of those things, then you can sue for the money you paid, plus your filing fees, in Small Claims Court. Small Claims have to be filed where the business is located. That means, if they only operate in Arizona, you unfortunately have to sue in Arizona, and you're not allowed to seek the time and expense of traveling to court.

Another option that could work is to send them a demand letter, via certified mail, giving them a set amount of time to return your money (or produce the item, delivered at their expense), or you will sue. You can also let them know that if you have to sue to get them to fix something that is obviously their mistake, you will also file a Complaint asking the Arizona Attorney General's Office to look into their business practices. They won't want that.

If you paid for the item by credit card or Paypal, the third option is to let the service know that your item was shipped to the wrong address and never received, and ask them to refund your money. They should do it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.