How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2157
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a counselor in an "in prison" substance abuse treatment

Customer Question

I am a counselor in an "in prison" substance abuse treatment program. I am in charge of a dorm with 50 inmates. I see and treat many of them during the day. During our PM wrap up. The lead inmate presented me as "grandma". I was shocked. I am 74 but look 50. I was terribly insulted. The bosses secretary has also called me Granny. I was tempted to file suit. Do I have a case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma...can you tell me how you were harmed by this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The inmate did this to hurt my feelings. It didn't. Pissed me off a bit because he had no right disrespecting me. I let him know that there would be consequences.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inmates are usually sent to the box for disrespecting a female.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
The law is clear, it is a violation of the law to discriminate against a person based on their age (if they are over 40)

SO if your employer is discriminating against you? Treating you differently because of your age? That would violate the law.

Can you sue them?

Before you can sue, you have to file a complaint with the EEOC (equal employment opportunity commission). They will investigate and try and mediate a solution.

If they can not broker a solution, then you can sue

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My employer has nothing to do with my question. Not only that. I just read the micro tiny print and I had no problem with a one time $36. But have no need or intention of a monthly plan. I have my own attorney. Just didn't want to tell him this. Cancel any monthly scam you have in store for me. I will contact pay pal. I did not know this was a monthly thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My eyes are bad. (ADA)
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the confusion. There is no requirement you subscribe. You can contact customer service at

1.***-***-**** to ensure you are not part of any subscription.

Are you still looking for an answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are way off track. Your answer has nothing to do with my question. Sorry.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out and allow someone else to assist you. I wish you the best

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, you really do not have a strong case here because in any case you need to prove how you were harmed i.e. did you lose a job as a result? You have to have suffered some damages beyond just feelings in order to have a strong case. Secondly, he is currently in prison so even if you sued him and won, you would not be able to get any money out of an inmate who is not able to earn money and pay a judgement.

Related Legal Questions