Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am a pastor contemplating resigning from my current

Customer Question

I am a pastor contemplating resigning from my current position. What ramifications could this have ?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This depends on what you mean by "ramifications." Can you please be more specific as to what kind of ramifications you mean?

Also:

1) What state is this in?
2) Would you be breaching any kind of contract (what kind and with whom) by resigning?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in the state of Missouri and would not be breaching contract. As a priest I want remain in good standing with the Church and am wondering what resigning would do. It is my understanding that it is usually best to not resign because I would lose any canonical rights I have as pastor.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. What Church are you affiliated with, please? Also, did the Church place you into that position, or, did you find it on your own?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am Catholic. Are you a Catholic canon lawyer?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

There are very few attorneys that focus specifically on lus canonicum. So no, this is not my only area of expertise. But I know it.

Did you wish to proceed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No thank you. I would prefer to find someone who specializes in canon law. Thank you for your time.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, okay. I am sorry to say that you would be hard pressed to find someone like this. But good luck. You can go to www.justanswer.com/help to deal with the deposit you paid for this question. All the best.