How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55308
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother-in-law is not allowing my husband to see s mother

Customer Question

My brother-in-law is not allowing my husband to see his mother who is living in their home because of a feud between them. He has power of attorney and we feel he is miss appropriating her funds. She is 90 and has dementia. How should we proceed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

What your husband will need to do is challenge his brother's actions under the POA. Being a POA doesn't mean that his mom's estate is the brother's personal piggy bank! A person acting under a Durable Power of Attorney becomes the agent of the principal who appointed him or her. As agent, that person is what the law calls a “fiduciary.” This means that person has a duty to act in the highest good faith for the principal’s benefit. It does not mean that the person can simply use the assets of the principal for the agent's own benefit. In your situation, I would tell your husband to put his brother on written notice by certified letter of the foregoing and let him know that if your husband is not provided access and does not provide documentation regarding mom's assets so your husband can be assured brother is satisfying his fiduciary duty to mom, including giving your husband a full accounting of all mom's assets and money in and out of her accounts and thereafter keeping your husband informed of the progress, he will be filing a petition with the court to have him removed as POA for breach of his fiduciary duty to mom and be asking the court to order an audit of mom's accounts. If that fails, your husband should file the petition.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!