CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Can I post a businesses name on a website? Details I am

Customer Question

Can I post a businesses name on a website? Details I am wondering is it legal to post a businesses (pet store) name on a website that is known to purchase their puppies from puppy mills?
I would like to build a database for people who choose not to support puppy mills, and where they should avoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
business's
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

What you describe is a form of free speech - you are identifying a business name (or names) for specific purposes.

Make sure that the information you have is supported (if you are found to be publishing information that is either false, or you reasonably should have known was false, the party (I am assuming it would be a store that you claim to be selling puppies from a puppy mill) would have a cause of action against you for defamation). So be careful with what you publish as you are making assertions of fact not opinion, but you are entitled to use a store's name in this kind of publication.