How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last week, I phoned our local sheriffs office to complain

Customer Question

Last week, I phoned our local sheriffs office to complain that a neighbor had parked his truck sideways across one of our neighborhood roads to block us from driving down the public road. The deputy responded and had him move his vehicle.
Over the past 40 hours, he has made false statements to the sheriffs department resulting in deputies coming to my house and questioning me, twice to my parents house and questioning them (once late at night waking them up and once more on Christmas day with a house full of guests), my son's friend was pulled over and my daughters boyfriend were pulled over. All as a result of numerous false claims.
The neighbor stands in the public street and walks towards us as we ingress and egress to and from our home in what I perceive to be a threatening manner.
He has attempted to bully and intimidate us for months and is now essentially using the sheriff's department to harass us. I there anything that we can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, your sole remaining recourse here now is to file a suit for harassment against the neighbor and as a part of that suit you would seek to file an injunction against him from committing continued harassment. If he violates that injunction then he would go to jail.
These neighbor disputes are tough, because the police have to respond to his calls, but once you sue and get an order against him through your harassment suit, then the police would have notice and can ignore him and arrest him for violating the court order.
You can also contact your local DA's office and bring them the evidence and ask if they will prosecute him for filing false police reports.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under Texas Law, is repeatedly 'sending' the police to your home without real cause considered harrassment? Do the police have the responsibility at some point to stop being part of the harrassement - can I claim the police are complicit in the harrassement? Is a Cease and Desist Order justified in this case?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your reply.
Repeatedly making false calls to the police is indeed harassment. The police have a duty to respond when called. You can file, like I said, and also file for him making false police reports. Do not blame the police because you have a jerk for a neighbor, blame the neighbor who is liable. The police merely get the call and have to respond.
There is no such "cease and desist order" that is what the injunction is that I mentioned above.