Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I got a notice in the mail parking violation in a bus zone

Customer Question

I got a notice in the mail for a parking violation for parking in a bus zone in San Francisco, CA. violation code V22500I they said I got the ticket on 11/15/15 at 2:35 am on a Sunday, when I next day was suppose to be at work at 7 am in Sacramento, which is over 80 miles away and hour and half drive from San Francisco. the time is incorrect on this ticket.I was there in San Francisco that day but not at that time I was there earlier. and what happen was this intersection by Mission st there was a car stopped in front of me picking up a passenger that was taking a while. So I was waiting for that car to go, so I could drive forward. Then I saw Ambulance with his flashing lights and siren so I had to pull over to the bus zone for maybe 10 seconds and the Ambulance went by. Then I waited for the car in front of me to pull out to Mission st and I drove off. But I was never parked in the bus zone. I never received and official parking ticket placed on my windshield. Which shows proof I was not parked there. The only way I was informed that I got this parking violation, was by the notice I received in the mail. I think who ever gave me this ticket made an error, I was not parked on the bus zone. I was just traveling through on Mission Street waiting for the car to go in front of me then for the Ambulance to go by then I went.I want to write to the city of SF to see if I can protest this ticket. I need help in writing the response to them or my response is good enough to work?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, your reasoning is sufficient to write them and plead not guilty to the ticket. However, be aware that in most of these cases they summarily deny your excuse and you will ultimately have to file an appeal for a hearing in person. Here is the information on the citation hearing process: https://www.sfmta.com/services/permits-citations/protest-citation
You need to state that you never parked the car and you were not present in San Francisco at 2:35AM and that when you were in SF you never parked and the only thing you did was pull over to curb to let an ambulance pass and tell your story as above, which is written fine.