How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To serve a municipality on a PI complaint, is sending the

Customer Question

To serve a municipality on a PI complaint, is sending the summons and complaint by registered mail good enough?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

It depends on what state you are in - but generally you are going to need to actually serve them personally (Rules of Service for the Court or State Code of Civil Procedure will apply).

Also, if you are suing a municipality for personal injury - have you followed the "Tort Claims Act" for your state? - if not you may want to check this carefully, most of these claims require you to submit an administrative demand before you file a civil lawsuit!