How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I bring an action against a Company and its Franchisee

Customer Question

Can I bring an action against a Company and its Franchisee if the defendant is in a different County/
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

The answer is yes. You can. You would need to bring the matter in the county where the business is located, however, unless you can show they regularly do business in your county and/or the transaction was conducted in your county - say your home.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I suggest when suing a corporation as in a franchise, you should find it on the Secretary of State's website and locate the "resident agent" That is the person who will be served with the lawsuit complaint.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

But if the franchise is owned by a sole proprietor, you need to file against the person running the business, no matter what name he or she is using. For example, let’s say ***** ***** opens a dry cleaning business called “John’s Dry Cleaning.” You would sue ***** ***** because he owns the business. So, your defendant would be “***** ***** dba (doing business as) John’s Dry Cleaning.”