How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9337
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1. Does a tenant who have a lease on a section of my

Customer Question

1. Does a tenant who have a lease on a section of my property have the legal rights to pull my record or do a violation search from the building dept and then pay my Violation or penalties that might owed to the city and deduct it from the monthly lease payment without owners permission.
2. How can I block these information available to unauthorized persons on my property
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

May I ask in which State the property is located, and if there is a lease in writing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brooklyn ny
It is a commercial property and he has a lease
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lease in in writing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

The tenant has no right to do that and you can treat is as a gift, and you could serve a notice to pay or quit, stating how much rent is still owed.

I have never seen a written lease that gives any tenant the option to pay a debt of the landlord instead of paying the rent agreed upon in the lease.

Liens and Building Dept. records are public records and I do not know of any way to block access to them.

But I am certain that the tenant had no right to make payments you never asked for and then try to deduct them from the rent.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I am not allowed to prepare any legal documents for you.

There is a sample posted at

but I have to urge you to consult a local attorney prior to using that or any unofficial form found on line. You can get a free consultation from some of the local landlord tenant attorneys listed here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied, please remember to rate my answer as 3 or higher. Otherwise my time here is not compensated.

Related Legal Questions