How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ardis. hoa fore closure
, i have to answer and i feel

Customer Question

Customer: ardis. hoa fore closure
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have to answer and i feel that it should be dismissed my soon to be ex wife quit claimed the house in the name of the church the house is part of the divorce no hoa fees have been paid they filed a lien but i think its facially deficient its fees lumped together
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: aren't they supposed to state that the court has jurisdiction over the subject matter yes i can wait a few just have a headach
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I would like to assist you.

I have reviewed your post above and it appears that you have a home that is located in an HOA.

The HOA fees are in arrears and the Association is filing suit to foreclose on the property.

You would like to have the matter dismissed because the HOA did not allege that the court has jurisdiction.

Unfortunately, this is not a basis for a dismissal - the HOA has likely listed the address of the property in its complaint, giving the court jurisdiction over the matter as "in rem" jurisdiction - the court action taking place in the county court where the property is located. There is no requirement for the plaintiff to make any separate or additional verbiage in its complaint.

You would like to have the matter dismissed based on the way the fees are claimed in the complaint.

Again, while the complaint may have alleged the fees in a lump sum - this is not a basis to dismiss the complaint (at least not in the pleading stage). You can argue that the charges claimed are not appropriate during the litigation (so you can contest the total amount owed during the lawsuit - and even file an answer to the complaint that contradicts the amount owed - but the court is not going to dismiss the action in the pleading stage because there is no itemized list (there isn't a requirement for the plaintiff to do so in the pleading stage).