Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

There is someone in my husbands organizing that's slandering

Customer Question
his name and talking about...
There is someone in my husbands organizing that's slandering his name and talking about information he was privy to in a confidential meeting this man continued to defame and slander my husbands name and my husband holds the highest office in this organization what can we do to make him stop
M
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2015
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Loren, Attorney

Good morning, I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

You can sue them for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence; and,

4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in this matter.

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:
http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.

Are you online with me?

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Loren, Attorney