How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 39039
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter just received full, sole custody of her 16 month

Customer Question

My daughter just received full, sole custody of her 16 month old son. The paternal grandparents had guardianship of him and did not receive any form of visitation. They are not happy with the verdict and are launching slanderous fundraisers on popular web sites as well as posting terrible lies on facebook.
They have been removed from one fundraising web site only to add it to another. We have filed a harassment report with the local police. What can we do to stop them without filing a civil suit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


In my experience, a strongly worded letter from a lawyer threatening legal action is usually sufficient to cause a disgruntled family member to back down in these types of circumstances. There's no guarantee that this will work, but once the grandparents realize that you are serious about filing a civil action (even though you're actually not), they may decide not to risk the cost of defending a defamation of character lawsuit.

Other than that, there's nothing you can do, because internet service providers are immunized under federal law from defamation actions, so, you cannot sue the websites to force them to remove the defamatory comments. See 47 U.S.C. Section 230(c).

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.