How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been with a woman 10yrs, we were engaged but never

Customer Question

I have been with a woman for over 10yrs, we were engaged but never got married.
However I bought her a engament ring. I ask for it back and she stated she watches
Judge Judy and the woman keeps the ring!!! Is that the case as well in California???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of practice experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

In California, who gets the ring depends on who broke-off the engagement. So, if your fiancee calls off the wedding, she has to give the ring back to you. The same is true - in California, at least - if you both agree to call it off.

As a general rule, you lose the ring if you cancel the engagement. An exception might come into play if you can show you had good reason to call off the engagement and so the cancellation was actually your fiancee's fault. For instance, if you cancel the wedding after discovering your fiancee was unfaithful to you, a court may order her to return the ring.

If she broke it off, then you get the ring. If she will not give it back, as long as it is worth less than $10,000, you can sue her in small claims court to have it returned.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively on the interface on your end (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see if you had any additional questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!