How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34506
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been struggling years as result of being emotionally,

Customer Question

Hi. I've been struggling for many years as result of being emotionally, physically and verbally abused by my ex-wife as a result of her behavior as a raging 24/7 alcoholic. We are since divorced, but the damage done continues to wreak havoc in all aspects of my life... work, relationships, trust, fear, ability to have normal intimacy.
I have tried to take the high road... for the sake of my children and others around me. But I need to have this settled once and for all. i've been in therapy, Al Anon, sexual counseling, etc.
Do I have any rights to file suit and bring her actions to justice, once and for all?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I want to sue for actions she has taken DURING the marriage? Or AFTER the marriage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
during the marriage... which ended about 7 years ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

I am truly sorry to be the one to bear bad news. What you're describing, it is too late for you to see you. The statute limitations on this matter is 2 years. Since more than two years have elapsed since this conduct it is too late for you to sue now.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can sue, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Related Legal Questions