How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29814
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can a woman do when the husband tells her he is through

Customer Question

what can a woman do when the husband tells her he is through with them; there are 4 small children, she does not and is not able to work because of the small children, he locks her out of the bank accounts and he controls all the money, he will not move out, is dating another woman, they currently live in 400 sq ft of space in her parents finished garage...
he has control of everything.....
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The wife can file for divorce on the grounds of adultery, and ask the judge to order temporary custody of the children, temporary child support, temporary spousal support, and sole use and possession of the marital home. There is no waiting period to file for divorce when one spouse is committing adultery. In Pennsylvania, temporary spousal support is usually 40% of the difference between the spouse's incomes. This calculator can help you figure out how much child support you may be entitled to.

If the husband has significant assets or income, the wife can also file a Motion for Attorney's fees, asking that the husband be ordered to pay for her lawyer. Many lawyers will accept the case and file this motion for the client, then taking their money from whatever is recovered from the husband. That may be an option worth exploring, because a lawyer can prepare all of the documents and file them quickly in order to get the money the children need for things like food and clothing.