Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Not really family law or maybe it is...last year at this

Customer Question

Not really family law or maybe it is...last year at this time I had a neighbors sister cal and report that I was not taking care of my dogs. I have Dobermans and 2 stay outside, they have adequate shelter and are feed and watered daily. Usually fed 2 times if not 3. She reported me again today, and animal welfare came n questioned my son (who is under 18, by the way). My son told the animal control officer said OK and left. My question is can I file harassment charges on this woman? She doesn't know my situation nor is it any of her business. I do take care of my dogs they are just a lil skinny. I've done everything to keep them healthy looking..and it just hasn't happened. Last year I lost a dog to rescuer because of this lady.who actually doesn't even live next door. It is her brothers house or sisters house. I just want to know if there's anything I can do to get her to leave me alone.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If she is continuing to make complaints, then your next step could be filing a suit against her for harassment, but in order to file a harassment complaint in civil court against her you have to prove actual damages. If you do not have any actual damages, you would not have any legal action to take other than asking the animal control officer to bring a complaint of filing false reports to the district attorney against this person. The animal control officer needs to do this, because they are the ones that are receiving these false reports.