How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118299
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in bankruptsy court. I need to immediately have the other

Customer Question

Im in bankruptsy court. I need to immediately have the other owner be forced to sign off.I have a bankruptsy attorney who sent him a letter on my behalf, but theguy has not responded. I will need an attorney who will be able to force him to sign off.
i owned the homestead since 2006. conveyed it to him and myself in2012. He did not pay me anything to do this. I am in DANGER of losing my property because the trustee (after the 419 meeting) says i wrongfully conveyed it to the other guy, but i did not for any financial purposes. I was not in financial trouble until two years later. The man i conveyed half my homestead to has since turned of me, causing me problems in the social medias. posting copies of my emails to him, riduculing me...etc.
How do i forch him to quit-claim the homestead?? I am limited in funds...having filed for bankruptsy. I need to get this guys name off my property as soon as possible. Help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that your attorney is correct, you cannot legally force him to sign off on the home, legal aid or statutes do not help you on this as there is no legal provision forcing him to sign no matter how desperate you are in this (I understand your situation quite well and actually know the frustration you are feeling). Your bankruptcy or no attorney can force him to sign. You can make him an offer perhaps to pay him some money as an incentive for him to sign if he will agree, but once you put him on the property you legally are stuck with him on the deed and the only way to remove him is if he signs a new quit claim deed and you cannot lawfully force him to do that.
I am very sorry, but what you are asking for has no legal basis or means to accomplish. You can seek to file a separate suit in court to have a court ordered sale of the property, which is where the court can order him to buy you out, you buy him out or you put the house up for sale, but that is the only other way to get him off of the deed.