How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed paperwork in May of 2015 atty to file suit. I gave

Customer Question

I signed paperwork in May of 2015 for an atty to file suit for me. I gave her a ck for $5,000 and have not herd from her since is have sent numerous emails and dozen of phone calls but all I get from the secretary is she is not in , in court yada yada. I need to get mey $5k back how to I do that I live in Nassau county new york
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You need to notify your attorney in writing that you are terminating them as your attorney effective immediately, and that you want your case file as well as your money returned. You premise this decision with the fact that they have not called you with a case status or returned your numerous calls since you originally signed the fee agreement. You might also suggest that if they do not cooperate by returning your file and your money that you will file a formal complaint against them, for delay and neglect, with the Attorney Disciplinary / Grievance Committee.

Here is the contact information for this Committee in Nassau County, New York:

Nassau & Suffolk Counties
Grievance Committee for the Tenth Judicial District
150 Motor Parkway, Suite 102
Hauppauge, NY 11788(###) ###-####/p>

If you still want to go forward with a lawsuit you can actually find a new attorney and ask that they take the matter over from your original attorney and they can arrange to get the file and your unearned advanced fees returned.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks in advance,