How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A wife/spouse forged her husbands (now divorced) signature

Customer Question

a wife/spouse forged her husbands (now divorced) signature on a Power of Attorney document at a car dealership to transfer sole ownership of the card to herself. She then traded the car for a new car that is only in her name. This took place in Texas and it has been 2 1/2 years. Is this a misdemeanor? Has the statue of limitation expired?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

If the ex-husband wanted to pursue criminal charges - the best thing to do is to contact law enforcement (use the local police or sheriff department's non-emergency number). The statute of limitations for forgery in TX is 10 years for felony forgery.

(See generally:

If this matter is not involved in part of the divorce proceedings (where these kinds of disputes between ex spouses are generally handled), the ex husband may be able to file a second civil complaint against the ex wife for conversion and fraud (conversion is the civil equivalent of theft) and get a money judgment to compensate for the loss of the ownership interest in the vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great response, thank you for your help.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.