How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Wanted to know about writing to a judge in a civil action

Customer Question

Hello, wanted to know about writing to a judge in a civil action case. I am a defendant.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

It is improper for a party (any party) to write to the judge directly regarding the case (this is called an "ex parte communication" (not to be confused with an "ex parte motion" (or 'emergency motion')).

If you need to bring something to the court's attention, you must do so in the form of a motion.