How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29822
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received a Card in March of 2015. I have now resigned

Customer Question

I have received a Green Card in March of 2015. I have now resigned from this position.
My company made me sign a document that I would have to pay back the cost of the Green Card process (14,700$ for me, wife and 2 kids) if I leave within 3 years.
As we are within 3 years the company requested the money back. I have read that they can't ask me to pay the money back and I'm also aware that other colleagues didn't have to sign such a document.
My 2 questions are:
If this goes to court and I have to pay the GC cost then is there a worse case scenario where I could lose the Green Card altogether?
Do you think my former employer can request the cost of the Green Card back?
Marcus Hermann
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Marcus,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Your employer cannot require you to reimburse the costs of YOUR green card or the costs of obtaining it, because that is seen as a business expenses. 20 C.F.R. 655.731(c)(9). They are entitled to reimbursement for any costs associated with obtaining a green card for your wife and children. The monies spent to bring your children over are not considered a business expense for your employer if they do not also work for the company.

Your employer has no ability to take your green card away because you left employment or refused to repay them, but they could get a judgment against you if you do not reimburse them. You're allowed to ask for a breakdown of the amounts spent to see which amounts were for you versus your family members.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.