Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have several web domains, recently I have developed some

Customer Question

I have several web domains, recently I have developed some web domains into information sources for general public. To be able to accept payments from these websites, do I have to register the web domains as DBA of the company which is receiving money
? If I have to register them as DBAs of my company, the web domain can receive income from anywhere in USA and outside USA, so where all I have to register as DBA ?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can register a "fictitious business name" or "DBA" at: http://business.ca.gov/StartaBusiness/RegisteringaBusiness/FictitiousBusinessName.aspx
You can get a registration under your company for each DBA you would like to register in CA. You should register the DBA for the company that is receiving the money, you do not want to register it under your own name as sole proprietorship as you do not want the personal liability you want the protection of your company.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for each web domain , you want me to register it as DBA only in CA, while the money can be coming from any where in US or outside USA ?
thank you for your reply.
You do not have to register it in CA, since you are not doing business principally in CA. You should consider registering in a state where there are no taxes, such as NV or WY, (DE has high franchise fees). You can register a Series LLC in NV or WY, which is where you have one LLC and then open a new series (treated like a separate LLC for legal purposes) owned by the main LLC for each of the websites. That would likely be the best way for you to set this type of situation up if you want each site to be under its own LLC. If not you can hold them all under one LLC which can be formed in NV or WY and does not have to be in CA, since you are not doing business solely in CA.
You would only need a registered agent for service and address (which can be same as registered agent) in NV or WY and there are services in each state that will provide that to you as part of their services of registering your LLC in either state.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I am understanding is to sell something on internet, I need to figure out who buys from my website and have a registered agent there, is it?
how is it possible to do ? any website can have customers in all of 50 states plus international, for someone who may or may not make money, to open or have registered agents and LLC and all for each website is absurd.do you think all the businesses on web have registered agents in each state they do business in?
Thank you for your reply.
No, that is not true and you are misunderstanding. You can register your LLC in ANY STATE for this type of business, regardless of where your customers come from. NV and WY are the best states.
Also, YOU asked about setting up separate DBA, but if you reread my above reply, I said you can keep them all under one LLC in NV or WY or you can use a series LLC to keep them separate. That is a choice for you to make based on whether or not you want to separate them for liability purposes.
If you are not worried about liability, forming only one LLC in NV or WY is sufficient to hold the business sites.
I never once said you had to register in every state you do business in and that is a misunderstanding on your part, not something I ever said or insinuated.
I said if you register your LLC in WY or NV, you only need an agent in that state. Then you can do business with that LLC with customers from any state you want and you do not have to register in every single state because you are not "primarily doing business" in one particular state.