How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3914
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dogs.
, I work on commercial ships and lived with my

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, my dogs.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I work on commercial ships and lived with my two dogs and GF in Charleston. SC until I left for work on December 5th. She moved out of my house sometime between Dec 7-14th and took my dogs with her. I'm not sure of the day as we are not really speaking with each other. Obviouly it was a sudden break up not planned. I purchased the dogs, both are registered under my name as the owner, paid 99% of medical bills, food etc and take care of them with my GF when I'm home.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Last communication with my GF, I asked if my hosue was locked up, where my car keys were and when my family could pick my dogs up, She replied, House is locked up and I have the spare key. I would be happy to mail it to however you need me to. Just let me know the address. You are not getting the dogs. You can send someone down here if you want, but it will be a wasted trip, because they will be escorted off my property by the law.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry that you are having this problem. I understand how frustrating and upsetting this is when your dogs have been taken from you. The good news is that you should be able to get the dogs back. Under SC law dogs are considered property, and they belong to the person who purchased them.

The bad news is that law enforcement is not going to be of much help. You can call them and file a theft complaint, but they liekly are going to tell you that this is a civil matter. It isn't but the police do not like getting involved in these situations. That is not to say you shoud not contact them. You should go to the local police department and file a written complaint of theft. This will help you get this on record.

As for the most important thing, you will need to sue this woman to get your dogs back. You can sue her (without an attorney) in small claims court. The local court will have the forms that you need. You will have to pay filing and service costs, but they should be awarded to you by the court.

Once you get your judgment ask the court for an Order that directs the sheriff to seize the dogs. You will take that to the sheriff who will then seize the dogs from her and return them to you.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You can use the following link to get some of the forms you will need:

Good luck.

Kind regards,