Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am trying to open a music venue that also serves craft

Customer Question

I am trying to open a music venue that also serves craft beer that's brewed in the same building. The building I want to put it in happens to be zoned for industrial use. Will I still be able to use this location for my business?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the property is zoned industrial and not commercial or mixed commercial/industrial, then you would need a waiver to open the venue in the industrial area, which is an area designated for production/manufacturing. So you would need to file a petition for a variance or waiver with the zoning commission and you would need to present evidence how the location would be safe, given the industrial area, and how it would not interfere with the industrial operations in the area and the zoning commission would have to agree to the variance. If they initially disagree, you would be entitled to a written appeal and hearing before the entire zoning commission to present your evidence to secure the zoning and they would hold hearings and invite public comment as well before deciding.