How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in a distance relationship, was engaged., my fiance

Customer Question

Hi, I was in a long distance relationship, was engaged., my fiance convinced me to move to her state.. Minnesota, quit my job..... and she would marry me, and she made enough money for the both of us...... well after being there 2.5 months she threw me out... with out any money, no phone.. and she owes me 4 thousand dollars that I paid on a credit card debt. I am now homeless (living with my step dad at 54!) and penniless. All my things are in her house and even if she would let me get them I have no where to put them... is there anything I can do??? thanks, Pamela.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

Unfortunately there is no cause of action related to you quitting your job and relocating to another state to be with your fiance.

However, you can sue her in small claims court (where she resides) for breach of contract (the money she owes you), and "conversion" (the civil equivalent of theft) to get your property back.

Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.