How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive got overviolations with 2 cars that i used to drive on

Customer Question

ive got over*****violations with 2 cars that i used to drive on harris county toll roads, and the toll fees are about 1300 for each car, but with the late fees and everything it got to a little over 17,000$ on toll road violations. is there
any way to reduce that fine?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Have you called them yet and tried to get relief? Have you considered filing bankruptcy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called them and all they offered me was to close with them on 15k and to pay it in one time transaction or to keep it 17,726$ and make monthly payments on it.
What will be the "side effects" after filling a bankruptcy?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Side effects of filing bankruptcy would not extinguish those government violations, but the bankruptcy can extinguish any other debts you have to free up money to pay the toll violations. Every 3-4 years they have toll amnesty, where they waive fines and interest, but they just did so about a year ago and it is not known when they will do it again. SO you can make them an offer of settlement as well, negotiate with them, but they will not agree generally to anything less than 1/2 of what is owed.
If you do not pay, they eventually will suspend your license to drive though, so you are going to have to negotiate with them to waive the penalties and interest as I said if you cannot make payments on a payment plan.

Related Legal Questions