Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I am a 35 year old female. Am now single and having a

Customer Question

I am a 35 year old white female. Am now single and having a difficult time getting a job in my field. I am a certified police officer. I work part time for the atlantic beach nc PD. Also work with the Maysville PD as a part timer at no pay. The issue is this. I was passed over for a full time position by the Atlantic Beach PD and the Cedar Point PD both in NC. I had been dating an ATlantic Beach Police officer who is the Brother of the AB Chief of Police. The problems began when we broke up the relationship. I was not very dipolmatic in the break up. I told him i did not want to see him anymore, not to call me or my or come to my house. I had been on a very friendly basis with the family until this happened.In the last year AB PD has hired 5 new police officers none of which have my experience. I was not allowed to apply or interview. Also i was close to being hired by Cedar Point PD until my ex boyfriend to the Chief i was a drunk. And went bars every night.. Which of course was not true. I found out what had happened thru a friend that knows the Chief in Cedar Point. I i have ever wanted was to be a Police Officer. And afraid its not going to happen with the discrimation againts me. Thank you Kristy
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kristy and thank you for the information. I don't, however, see where you have actually asked a legal question. I will assume that you are asking what your legal recourse is. If that is not your question, please ask it in a reply to this answer.

If you are not being selected or refused application status simply because of your gender, then that would be actionable. It could be argued that the fallout against you because of the dating breakup is gender related. There is no guarantee that the EEOC or the courts would agree, but that is the only basis (based on the facts you provided) that would give you any right to claim discrimination. That said, there is a very short window to file a complaint with the EEOC, which is a prerequisite to filing suit. That is that a claimant has 300 days from the last discriminatory act by the employer to file a complaint. In this context that would be the date you were not selected for a job you applied for or were told that you could not apply at all. If you are within that 300 day window then you can file a complaint with the EEOC and would also want to sit down with a local employment law attorney to discuss your plan of action and whether or not you want to wait for the EEOC to try to resolve the issue or go ahead and file suit, or another alternative.

As for the statement by your ex-boyfriend that you say is false, you would not have a cause of action against the PD, but instead against your ex-boyfriend for defamation of character. That assumes that the statement was false factually and that it damaged your reputation. In the case of the defamation suit, you would have to find a local trial attorney (personal injury) to discuss filing suit with.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.

Hello again Kristy,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 14th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.