Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Experience:  dasdasd
23431962

I was interrogated behaviour at the airport by TSA, because

Customer Question

I was interrogated for odd behaviour at the airport by TSA, because I was walking around and looked into a couple of trash cans.
I had mistakenly dropped a food receipt for 25 dollars into the trash, and I was looking for the same as it is needed to claim reimbursement for transit expenses from the company.
I explained the same to the TSA official and I am not sure if there was also a Law Enforcement guy. They accepted my explanation, checked my ID and said that I had done nothing wrong but that they would file a report describing the Incident and that they had spoken to me and sought clarification. He said it would have no negative implications on my visa.
I am in the US on an H1B and I am now worried whether this will have any negative impact on my visa renewal or Port of Entry screening. I am feeling a bit victimized as I have done nothing wrong. Please advise.
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration or TSA Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

First, I want to tell you that I am an immigration attorney with more than 10 years of experience in the immigration context. Keep that in mind while we work together.

ANSWER: No, absolutely not. This will affect your visa in no way whatsoever. The only way your visa would be affected is if you are charged and convicted of a crime of a serious nature. You did nothing wrong and this was not a deportable offense, or one that would make you inadmissible.

I understand your frustration. But TSA is on high alert for two reasons: the events that have unfolded worldwide over the last few weeks, and the fact that it is the holiday season and there are a lot of travelers. It is precautionary.

I am so sorry for the inconvenience you rightfully experienced. But again, that comfort in knowing this has absolutely no affect on your via whatsoever.

I know this can be confusing. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand that it does not directly impact my visa but will it have any indirect effect?

I am worried because he said that he was filing a report indicating that he spoke to me but will that now mean that my name is ***** ***** any database which may have a negative influence in the future like visa renewal or green card application.

Can you please tell me what a report like that would contain and whether I would need to provide justification at places like the POE?

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: No, no effect on your visa. Or future visas. Or the port of entry. When you are asked about criminal history, they specifically ask about arrests, charges and convictions. You were not arrested. You have no criminal history as a result. Arrests show up in a background check. This was not an arrest.

The TSA, like any enforcement agency, must file a report, in case it comes up in the future - say you wanted to file a complaint, they need to have a record to reflect back on. It's the same idea as if someone is injured in a store, the manager has to document it in case it needs to be referenced in the future.

No, you do not need to provide justification at places like the POE. Again, I am an immigration attorney with more than 10 years of experience. If it was going to cause issues, I would let you know.

Thank you!

(It appears my answer did not register with the system. Sorry if you can see it and this is a repeat.) Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: No, no effect on your visa. Or future visas. Or the port of entry. When you are asked about criminal history, they specifically ask about arrests, charges and convictions. You were not arrested. You have no criminal history as a result. Arrests show up in a background check. This was not an arrest.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with apositive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating mycustomer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Thank you!