How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2012 I gave my house as a gift to my child. I received no

Customer Question

In 2012 I gave my house as a gift to my child. I received no money. She had to do a lot of repairs to the house so apparently put down that the house cost her $350,000 d/t these repairs. Now the IRS says that I owe them money for this transaction. They started taking money out of my social security check two months ago. Even though we have talked to them. They are still taking the money. Then this week I got a letter saying that they are going to garnish my wages. This is totally ridiculous as I received nothing in this transaction. What can I do to stop them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this matter. You need an experienced tax attorney right away.

By stating that she paid $350,000.00 for the property (when she did not), your daughter made it appear that you were hiding income from the IRS. This creates a huge amount of trouble for you, and given how long ago this transaction took place you are going to need help to unravel it.

You can find local tax attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

I do know that customers do not come to this site to be told "go hire an attorney" - but when you are in a situation where the IRS claims you failed to report over a quarter of a million in taxes, you really do need a lawyer to help you. Find a tax specialist and have them help get this matter resolved. (Your daughter is going to have to figure out her own taxes as well - but her problem is less pressing.