How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37877
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 20 yo nephew is wanting to spend the night with s 20 year

Customer Question

My 20 yo nephew is wanting to spend the night with his 20 year old girlfriend in my wife's and my vacation home (while we, or any other parents, are not there). What are the legal consequences to my wife and I should something happen, e.g. if he, or the girlfriend, were to get drunk, consuming our alcohol on the premises and then go out and get in a car wreck, or consume drugs on our premises, or invite others, say minors, over to the premises, who then consumed our alcohol and then went out and got into trouble? Should we take the precaution of removing all the alcohol from the premises beforehand? I should mention this is all theoretical, and our nephew is a great kid who obeys the rules and is not prone to trouble...but the situation has caused us to ponder (and debate) these questions. Does it change once he turns 21?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


Since he and the girlfriend are legally adults over the age of 18, then they are responsible for their own actions if they are allowed to stay in the vacation home. The owners of the home are not responsible for any illegal acts or actions that another legal adult may commit or engage in while in or on the property. If he allows minors to consume alcohol on the premises, then he could potentially be held liable for this under a criminal prosecution, but this wouldn't affect the owners of the property unless they supplied someone under 21 with alcoholic beverages.


So yes, it would be a wise idea to either remove or lock up any alcoholic beverages if you are going to allow him to stay there so as to avoid any potential liability.


Once they turn 21, they can legally consume alcohol so there wouldn't be any need to remove or lock up alcohol as they are then responsible for their own actions regarding consumption and the owners can't be held liable for supplying an underage person with alcohol.