How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4194
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The owner of our building in the city of west hollywood ca.

Customer Question

the owner of our building in the city of west hollywood ca. came in to inspect for code violations in the apt. he then felt he had the right to start taking pictures of all my personal property and opening up cabinets and closets. is this legal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

From your description the landlord violated your right of privacy and right to quiet enjoyment of the property. The landlord is permitted under the landlord tenant act to enter the property AFTER providing notice, and at a reasonable time, for the purpose of making repairs and inspecting the property for repairs. BUT he is NOT entitled to use that opportunity to invade your privacy, inspect your personal property, photograph it, or otherwise impair you rright to the quiet enjoyment of the property.

While compensable damages are hard to prove in these cases, you may be entitled to punitive damages. Further you can bring an action in small claims court for amounts up to $10,000.00. The clerk will have the forms you need. You will have to pay filing and service fees if you sue. They are recoverable if you win.

Here is an article on the subject:

This site can help you with forms and other information needed to file:

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.