Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  29 Years In General Practice,
68197583

Does an Educational Advocate have the legal right to direct

Customer Question

Does an Educational Advocate have the legal right to direct all communication to her? Especially, if the parent has placers this request in writing. Can the Advocate file a legal Cease and Desist if the school system continues to harass clients.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. Can you explain what you mean by "harassing clients"? It sounds as though you are telling me that the advocate has requested, on behalf of the parents, that all communication go directly to the advocate. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this was needed due to misinformation on the school systems part being misleading to my clients. Also, clients were becoming overly upset about their children being punished and there was an excessive amount of intimidation on the school systems behalf. So, in order to cut down on the effects of this I requested that the scho system have no direct contact with clients represented by my agency.
Recently, the Director of their Special Education and Psychological Services Department wrote me back. She basically stated that she knew of no law that provided this right to Advocates but only Paralegals and Attorneys. But if I could send her a copy of such a law then she would be glad to honor it. All of my clients have requested that all correspondence be sent to me as their advocate. But the school system continues to ignore their requests. Their is a law that references advocates and attorneys the same in barring direct communication with clients when requested. I was just wondering would a Direct and Desist be the next step?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant a Cease and Desist...sorry
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

I can appreciate the passion of the educational advocate. This link sets out the guidelines http://advocatesforspecialeducation.com/find_georgia.html. As far as actually moving forward with a cease and desist this would be handled by the parents or a licensed attorney. Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I may receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. Thank you for using JA!

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Please ignore the additional services request.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?