Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I red a pet sitting company and they are trying to charge me

Customer Question

I hired a pet sitting company and they are trying to charge me 50% of the whole time for not canceling 14 days out. Why wouldn't I pay for the two days only that does not meet the cancellation policy?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What does the cancellation policy in their contract state specifically?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in California this is all it states:Cancellation Policy:
0-48 hours notice prior to departure: Payment in FULL is charged (no refunds)
3-7 days notice prior to departure: 20% of service total is due (80% refund)
8 days or more notice prior to departure: No charge, Refund in FULLHoliday Cancellation Policy::*15 or more days notice prior to departure = full refund/no charge*7-14 days notice prior to departure = 50% of full services due*6 or fewer days notice prior to departure = Payment in full is charged/ no refunds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, that is what the company states, not the state of CA
Thank you for your reply.
Help me understand a bit more. The agreement states if you cancel 7-14 days out, you agreed to pay 50% of the full services due. What are they trying to charge you? You agreed in the contract to pay 50% of full services due, are they trying to charge you more than that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The full story is I tried to cancel because I need to keep one of my dogs at the vet's office due to his medical condition getting worse right now and they have been bad about his medical condition in the past. I wanted to keep all of my dogs together. They called and said that there would be the cancellation fee even though his medical condition just happened. I sent a message through their service that they could watch my two other dogs. They said they had already canceled it before they saw the message and pretty much too bad.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, the problem is that you signed this contract. Under CA law, when people sign a contract they are agreeing to be bound by the terms contained within that contract. So if you have this contract and they are now trying to charge you 50% of the total due as the contract states, then they are within their legal rights to do so and as it does not contain an exclusion for illness of the pet, negotiating that is solely up to the business to agree upon. If they will not agree, I am sorry to say you are bound by the terms written in the contract.