Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Do I have any legal right to peace and quiet in my house?

Customer Question

Do I have any legal right to peace and quiet in my house? There are back hoes and earth moving machinery working on a new residential development about 100 yards away. I can feel the vibration and hear the machines running all day long. It's starting to
give me headaches. It's seriously distracting and unsettling to have this going on all day. Do I have any right to have them limit the time they use the heavy equipment so I don't have to listen to this all day every day?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This depends on the city, since MA has no general noise control ordinance, it is based on the city ordinances.
You do have a right to peaceable use and enjoyment in your home and property. So if they are interfering with that and are outside of the times of the local noise ordinance you would be able to file a noise complaint with the city authorities.