How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in a Common Law marriage from 1974 to 1980 in the

Customer Question

I was in a Common Law marriage from 1974 to 1980 in the state of Georgia. I obtained a divorce degree in 1981. I just moved to Delaware and went to get my drivers license and they will not accept the divorce degree because it does not reflect my maiden name only common law name. They say I need to get a court order to change my name but I remarried in 1982 to present and my name has been Boyer ever since. How can I resolve this issue.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to file a motion in the DE court for legal name change and get the DE court to issue a name change order based upon your marriage in 1982 to change your name back to the name you want to use. A lawyer for a name change will generally cost you about $500 or so, but the process is fairly quick and can be done in 30-60 days depending on the court's calendar. Here is the information for you to use if you cannot afford a local attorney to file your name change petition: