How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30162
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I let my friend barrow my car he told he was going to

Customer Question

I let my friend barrow my car he told he was going to Kennedy airport to pick up his mother,that was on Friday 12/4/2015 I reported the car stolen on Monday because I wasn't picking up my calls to return my car I find out today from his brother that he got arrested in Allentown PA.trying to pick up 20 kilos of cocaine,my question is I'm I gonna get arrested for letting him my car?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

It's unlikely that you would be arrested unless they can find some evidence that you knew your friend was going to use the car to do a drug run. The fact that you reported it stolen tends to suggest otherwise - it wouldn't make any sense to loan someone your car to sell drugs and then report it stolen. So that works to your benefit. If police do call to talk to you about what happened, you should know that (a) you have no obligation whatsoever to talk to them and (b) you have a right to have a lawyer go with you if you decide to talk to them. Anything you say to police can be used against you if they decide to press charges.

Also, if they charge you with a crime, you may be able to get the charges dropped if you are willing to testify against your friend (if you have any information that might help them get a conviction). If you can't afford a lawyer, the judge will appoint one for you at no charge, and a lawyer can try to work out that type of deal on your behalf.

The bigger issue is that your car is now evidence of a crime, and police may not be willing to release it to you until your friend's case is over. They can try to confiscate it permanently if they have reason to believe you knew about the drug transaction - and the standard of proof for a civil forfeiture is lower than for a criminal conviction. If that happens, you may want to consult with an attorney located in Allentown who can help you try to get the car back.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.